shop

Sweet Pea Baby Blog.... For Mommies with style and Parents who would like to stay in style. Everything to help you look good while taking care of your children and baby!


8.25.2010

Ruffled FLOWERS R the RAGE!



Creativity is my Passion and literally what drives me...I love everything about the process....from getting those FIRST inspiring thoughts,  {I can see it literally in "my mind's eye"}, sometimes I will write it down, make a sketch,  or just file it in my brain until I have time to really dwell on it! THEN finally  bringing those thoughts to a reality!  Sometimes it takes trial and error till I can get it just right  {If at first you don't succeed try try again! I have failed more times than I care to admit!}...but I will never tire of the Thrill of Creating and Finishing a Project!



Fabric Flowers, embellishments, and Ruffles are seriously the Fashion Rage and I am loving it!
With an almost teenage daughter, and another daughter a few years behind her this summer has brought on many opportunities for some fun little projects to teach & involve my GIRLS!  So with this in mind I have had this idea to embellish a T-Shirt with Ruffles or Flowers etc.    So here is what we did...I was on a quest to find the perfect white T to add some embellishments!  Luckily while school shopping... I found a white V-neck Tee for the perfect price $6 at AEROPOSTALE!  Once you have the shirt then gather up some white fabric scraps {or colored ones if you would like a funkier look},  if you don't have any then you could go to the fabric store and buy as little as 2 inches of fabric...Make sure you buy at least 3 or 4 different types to add a little dimension to your RUFFLED FLOWER Embellished Tee!  I used
all white, Organza, sparkled Chiffon, Lace fabric, and just a Cotton with a floral pattern sewn through out it. 








First Cut 3/4 to 1 inch strips for Varying Sizes of Ruffled Flowers.
Take your needle and thread and start sewing along one edge and pull as you go to GATHER your flower like an accordion. Once you have gathered enough to make a complete flower cut off the excess overlap the two edges a little and baste them together.




Once you have made varying shapes of flowers to Layer on your Tee...I laid them out on the Tee then pinned the flowers on till I was Satisfied with the look.





{I used 7 different flower shapes and a couple I layered... for example the Cotton patterned flower I put a smaller Organza flower right in the center of it sewing the two together.}  When all of your flowers are made, just with the Chiffon and Organza take a lighter to singe the edges which helps in fraying.  The Cotton will fray a little when you wash it...but it will only add more Character to your Tee.
Now securely Baste stitch with your needle and thread all of your flowers..I sewed them down at differing points on the flowers so that they laid flatter on the Tee! When you think you are finished try on the Tee and look in the mirror, now you might want to add more basting stitches where the flowers may stick up.












This was so fun...my GIRLS loved it!


My Next project will be finding a colored Tee and either Dyeing some Ruffled Fabric flowers to match or just choose fabrics that are similar in color...forget Dyeing!




1 comment:

Fillerup Family said...

Tana I love it. I think I will try this this weekend. What a simple easy gift.

Tracie

Baby Chic 101